Monday, March 23, 2009

Volunteer Reflexology to Disabled Children


In March 2008 I was given the blessed opportunity of visiting a school for the Physically Disabled just outside of Johannesburg.

When we arrived, the children were all sitting under a huge tree in the garden, eating their sandwiches. I was welcomed with their warm, openhearted smiles and immediately started working relaxation reflexology on their hands. I was truly blessed to feel their love and gratification upon receiving this therapy even if for only ten minutes on each child. I noticed a few of the children felt relaxed enough to go and have a sleep on the veranda. For those children who could speak, I explained a little about the process of reflexology on their hands.


Martha, an older resident was so happy to tell of her ability to massage people’s necks and backs, including mine, and believe you me, she is good. She is determined to study Physiotherapy. Whilst I worked Reflexology on her hands, I explained the process as Martha is very keen to learn and help her little friends.

I would also like to mention that when you next pass those little children begging on the street corners, please bear in mind, they are probably trying to get enough money together to send to their siblings in the rural areas. Many of these children have lost their parents to HIV/Aids and end up fending for their siblings and themselves. Even if you don’t give them any money, I am sure some piece of clothing or a blanket would be greatly appreciated. This is why I always carry a few blankets in my car. Most of all, a silent ‘Bless You’ is the greatest gift of all.

A few words which made such an impression on me whilst at a Health, Safety and Environmental Workshop last week are “Conserve the Vitality and Diversity of this Earth”. We can do this by sending healing to the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments to the subject of health on this Blog. Thank you